Friday, July 17, 2009

El Fin

So, Panama City. not what one might call the most charming of cities. i have somehow managed to spend the last 5 days here. the only way to manage a feat as great as this for the average backpacker is to sleep late, watch TV and movies, read, and go to bed early. i did some shopping, which is ridiculously cheap here. i also saw the panama canal, which was pretty cool actually. we didnt get to see any ships (or even private yachts) go through, though. dont ask me how thats possible. one of the things i learned is that 14,000 vessels go through the canal every year. that means that an average of 38.3 vessels go through a day. if the canal is open 24 hours (and im not sure, but i dont think it is), that means that 1.6 vessels have to pass every hour. i was there about 2 hours and didnt see one come within eyeshot of the first set of locks on the pacific side. maybe thrusdays are slow, i dont know. so that was a little dissapointing, but the muesum was cool, and we learned about the expansion plan, which seems unnecessary considering that no ships were going though when i was there. but apparently even once its done (and they want it finished by august 15, 2015, for the centennial celebrations) it still wont be able to accomadate the worlds shipping needs.

believe it or not, that was really all i did here for the last 5 days. it has been sort of a chill expierence, just riding out the last of my trip. which means that this will be the last post (kind of anticlimactic, huh?). most of you i will see--maybe even before you get around to reading this. thats wierd to think about.

last but not least, i want to do a little experiment. this is what we are going to do. all of you who read this post (and i would assume--although you know what they say abou that--that those of you who read this post probably read most of the other ones as well), please, leave a comment. it doesnt have to say much, something like "hey, cool blog, thanks for sticking with it" or "lame ending, we want more" or "meh, it was an excuse not to study" or even "jldfjaslñdhf". it can be anonymouse or you can leave your name, either way, i dont care. im just kind of interested to see if its more than just my parents that are following.

well, thats that, thanks for sticking with me, it was a wild trip, i look forward to seeing you all soon!

dont forget to comment :)

6 comments:

Gma said...

Hi Jeevon, I have enjoyed your journey very much, with pictures to compare that Bob took 20 some years ago. Some things don't change. Welcome back..Rox

Lorin said...

Welcome back Jeevon! It's been great reading your blog and hearing of your adventures. I loved the photo of you and your monkey friend - very cool!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeevon. I have been reading your blog all along... not every day, but I caught up with what I'd missed each time I logged in. Sorry I didn't do a very good job of writing back. I think I did - once or twice? Anyway, I have been amazed about your adventures and your sense of independence - and also your comraderie with new people you meet. I have had a great chuckle or two reading your colorful descriptions of the characters you traveled, ate and drank with. I loved getting a picture (words and photos) of the towns you visited and the people and lifestyles you encountered. I loved envisioning you sliding down the sand hills and then going back the next day to do it again... or sailing through the islands eating lobster.

To tell you the truth, I will miss reading your blogs... but not near as much as you will probably miss the feeling of freedom and adventure you've been living between writing them.

I am really wondering what you will do next? Do you have plans or have your thoughts changed while being away from the states for so long that you are reconsidering your plans? I cannot imagine the culture shock of coming home after such a trip. I trust you are enjoying being with your family and friends again.

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your journey with all of us who chose to read about it. I truly loved it... and I have to say that I love you more after getting the chance to hear your thoughts about what you saw and did.

I hope it isn't too long until we get a chance to see you again. You are an amazing person. As they say, "life is a journey" and you've may have just had your journey of a lifetime! I hope not...

Love always,
your aunt Jeanne

Anonymous said...

that's jeanne with 2 n's :)

Anonymous said...

I read your blog until I got to Chile (because then I wasn't on the computer much) and it was cool! I loved your photos.
Chile was my favorite part of your trip :)

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I used to be checking continuously this
blog and I am inspired! Very helpful info particularly
the remaining phase :) I handle such information a
lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time.
Thanks and good luck.

My web site laser cellulite treatment